Food Security and Sustainable Supply Chains
September 8, 2016 – September 9, 2017
Almost a billion people suffer from chronic hunger and malnutrition, and global food production will need to be doubled by 2050 to meet global demand. Achieving this goal requires the creation of new frameworks for inclusion of small farm-holders in local-to-global supply chains, and the development of risk sharing arrangements reducing the vulnerability to climate risk and enabling access to resilient production technologies. This workshop brings together researchers offering innovative ideas on how to create risk-based sustainable, resilient, and inclusive supply chain models delivering global food security. We expect researchers from a variety of disciplines will find this workshop of interest, including economics, finance, operations management, financial engineering, insurance and actuarial science.
The workshop will consist of approximately ten plenary sessions of an hour, including discussion and Q&A. There will be two keynote addresses: one academic-minded, and one industry-minded. The workshop is organized jointly with the Grantham Institute / Climate-KIC at Imperial College London, as well as the WINnERS project.
Enrico Biffis (Risk Management and Insurance, GSU & Actuarial Finance, Imperial College London) and Yusen Xia (Managerial Sciences, GSU) are the organizers of the workshop. Funding is being provided by the Center for the Economic Analysis of Risk (CEAR) at Georgia State University. See cear.gsu.edu for more information on CEAR, http://www.imperial.ac.uk/grantham/ for information on the Grantham Institute, http://www.climate-kic.org/ for information on Climate-KIC, and http://www.winners-project.org/ for information on the WINnERS project.
Presenters and Speakers
- Erik Chavez (Imperial) http://www.imperial.ac.uk/people/erik.chavez07
- Kyle Emerick (Tufts) http://kylejemerick.wix.com/kemeri
- Michael Ghil (UCLA and ENS Paris) http://research.atmos.ucla.edu/tcd//GHIL/
- Xavier Gine (World Bank) http://www.worldbank.org/en/about/people/xavier-gine
- Sarah Janzen (Montana State) http://www.montana.edu/sjanzen/
- Upmanu Lall (Columbia) http://www.columbia.edu/~ula2/
- Nikolay Osadchiy (Emory University) http://www.bus.emory.edu/nosadch/index.html
- Jonathan Robinson (UC Santa Cruz) http://people.ucsc.edu/~jmrtwo/
- Tess Russo (Penn State) http://www.tessrusso.com/
- Martijn van Vliet (Rabobank) https://www.rabobank.com/en/products-services/business-banking/asset-based-finance/index.html